How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13748
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a stepson in jail, taking a plea bargin sentencing shd

Customer Question

Have a stepson in jail, taking a plea bargin sentencing shd be on 12/9, felony conviction for sex with a "few" minor girls (ages around 15) he was 27-28 and living in MO. That is where he is incarraceted now, His wife is divorcing him and he has said he will not agree to any child support whatsoever in their divorce agreement because in the future once he is released (expected to be 8 years or so) if he dosen't have a job because it will be hard to find with his record he could possibly be sent back to jail because he is a convictied felon who is now not paying child support. Is that a true assumption.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon, thank you for your question.

A person can be held in contempt of court if they violate a court order (such as a divorce settlement that requires child support to be paid). However, it is rare that a judge will order a person to jail for this. Normally, when this happens, it is because a person has repeatedly failed to pay their support and is significantly in arrears. Additionally, the party who is receiving support would first have to file a motion for contempt with the court and there would have to be a hearing. In other words, they won't just throw him in jail for being a convicted felon who failed to pay his child support.

In addition, your stepson should know that regardless of whether he agrees to pay child support or not, the court will award it, because child support is for the benefit of the child, and both parents have an obligation to support the child. Additionally, such an obligation does not stop simply because a person is incarcerated.

Please let me know if you have follow-up questions.

I hope this information is helpful, even if it may not be what you want to hear. If you have follow-up questions or need additional clarification, please click reply and I will be happy to assist you further.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.