Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
11297241

I LIVE IN HARRIS COUNTY (HOUSTON TEXAS) THE COURT HAS GIVEN

Customer Question

I LIVE IN HARRIS COUNTY (HOUSTON TEXAS) THE COURT HAS GIVEN ME TEMPORARY CUSTODY OF MY 10 YR. OLD GRANDSON AND HE IS CONSIDERED UNDER FOSTER CARE. MY QUESTION IS: IF I AM CONSIDERED A FOSTER PARENT, SHOULD I RECEIVE COMPENSATION FROM THE STATE?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Because you are the child's grandparent, you would not be considered a foster parent, but can be eligible to enroll in for Kinship Program Services. These services offer support and case management, and depending on availability, may offer limited financial assistance. The Program would also help you to apply for any public assistance benefits you may be eligible for. Here is their brochure:

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/documents/Child_Protection/pdf/KinshipLeaflet.pdf

Or, you can apply for child support through the courts from the non-custodial parents.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Edited by Lady Themis on 12/1/2010 at 5:58 PM EST