Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How can change my daughters birth certificate to have her

How can change my daughters birth certificate to have her step dad's name placed on there as her father?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I am afraid not. MN does not allow you to change the name on the birth certificate from the actual biological father, since he IS the biological father. If you seek to have your new husband to take over parental duties officially, the easiest way to go about doing so is to file a Petition for Guardianship in Court so he'd become a legal guardian of her, receiving all the rights and duties of a parent. You may find the petition at legalzoom.com or uslegalforms.com, or perhaps have an attorney represent you/him.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My daughter is 18, can my husband go through the adoption process and if so than would he be able to legally be put on her birth certificate as her father?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
I assumed she was a minor. In MN, at eighteen she is now an adult, so no - it is too late. I am afraid that he cannot do it now simply because she is too old. There is no way to put his name on the birth certificate, I am sorry to say, in this case. I know it is not what you wish to hear, but it is the truth. The only thing he can do is adopt her as an adult (adult adoption) which would have meaning for any will and estate down the line.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.