How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Domestic Your Own Question
John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
John Domestic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Signed in Feb. 10 that I would pay house payments, health

Customer Question

Signed in Feb. 10 that I would pay house payments, health insurance, and credit card payments to my ex wife. To pay house until sold,(exwife is still living there). I did not have the job I thought I would have and could not pay the house payments nor furnish her with medical insurance. She took me back to court and the judge ruled I was in contempt of court and took me to jail. I had to pay $22,384. immediately to get out of jail. My parents borrowed it for me and paid it and now I owe that on top of everything else.

I have a job and receive $1700 per month net. I don't even have insurance on myself. They are wanting me to pay $900 house payments and $600 insurance payment on top of all the credit cards I have to pay (that are all in her name).

I am at my wits end. I talked to a bankruptcy lawyer and they said I may still be in contempt of court. If (and when) she takes me back to court I will have to go to jail again and I have no more means of paying out. I will lose my job and not be able to pay anything.

do I have any legal action I can take. My exwife does not really want to sell the house because she gets to live there. It is listed for a high price.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John Domestic replied 6 years ago.

Thank your for asking Just Answer,


What state are you in?


You may be able to file a motion to modify your order.


Do you know if your order to pay is part of alimony or property division?

Edited by John Wills on 12/1/2010 at 2:28 PM EST

Related Family Law Questions