How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am getting ready to go to court for divorce soon. My estranged

Resolved Question:

i am getting ready to go to court for divorce soon. My estranged husband is asking for custody of our twins. I have 3 children but my husband and i have 2 together. Please let me know what are his chances of winning custody of our kids.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

How much custody is he asking for, and why does he argue that his request is in the best interest of the children?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is asking for joint custody but he wants my children to reside with him. He is not specific on why he thinks they are better off with him he just said that he is the better parent. I havent always been the best housekeeper so i hired a housekeeper and he is trying to use that against me. He has also told me that his attorney can prove that i have anger issues. well i don't have anger issues...but i have been really upset when he has cheated on me as well as physically and emtionally abused me.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
I just want to comment first that getting a housekeeper is not at all likely to count against you; if anything, it is likely to prove that you are responsible about keeping the house in order. That is very backwards thinking on his part. And obviously you are entitled to be angry at him for physically and emotionally abusing you (including unfaithfulness); apparently, he believes that treating his kids' mom like a bag of garbage is in their best interests?

Child custody will not be modified unless there has been a material change in circumstances and the change is in the child's best interest. If he is unable to articulate (1) how there has been a material change in circumstances or (2) how it is in the best interest of your children to change the custody plan, he will not win. I understand your anxiety because it involves your kids, but the court has to have an affirmative reason to change the custody order, and you have indicated that he is unable to articulate that reason or that there has been a change. I hope that this helps.
Brandon M. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you