LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law Attorney
7887522

how much of SS payments can be paid to ex toward alimony

Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you today.

Federal law allows up to 50% of your social security income to be garnished for alimony; however, if this is causing a hardship for you, you can file a motion to quash the garnishment and ask for a reduction in the amount they are garnishing. You will have to provide proof of the hardship to the judge. Please just let me know if you have any more questions. If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what % of federal workers compensation will U.S. Dept of labor pay to alimony recipient, and can that also be reduced
Is this money being paid to you in place of your wages because of an on-the-job injury?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I receive dept. of labor periodic workers comp. payments as a result of on the job injury as postal employee
Thank you. As far as income or payments in lieu of income, they cannot take more than 25%. And yes, this can be reduced as well if you can show a hardship.