Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My brother got arrested for assault, theft, intent to distribute…

Customer Question
My brother got arrested for...
My brother got arrested for assault, theft, intent to distribute and using a minor to sell marijuana. They also found an ounce in his car. He's in a small town in Nebraska. The judge set bail at $350,000. He's Hispanic (legal) and has a few priors from when he was a minor. He's a stupid 19 y/o kid, who thinks life's high school. Allegedly he went to a 17 y/o boy's house who owed him money from selling an ounce of weed, the boy said he didn't have the money or the drug. My brother supposedly choked him (marks on neck), then "made" the boy drive to the bank for the money. At the bank, he didn't withdraw the money and they got into an argument. Police was called. Now he's in county jail. No lawyer will touch him, because he's in jail and it'd be too time consuming. It's a small tight knit white community and I think they're going to try to make an example out of him. I think he should learn his lesson and spend a year or two in jail, but 3 to 20 yrs in State Prison?. He can be rehabilitated and maybe he needs bootcamp, or a couple of years of confinement... but if he goes to State Prison for 5 years that's a lifestyle almost impossible to unlearn. What can I do? Can I talk to the DA? should I? how do I find a competent lawyer in this bureaucratic piece of crap town? (Columbus, NE). What should I expect?
thanks for any advice,
Laura
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2010
Family Lawyer: LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer replied 7 years ago
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. I am truly sorry for the circumstances, and I commend you for being concerned about your brother's welfare. He is fortunate to have such a caring sister in his corner. Unfortunately, attempting to speak to the District Attorney will be futile. The best thing you can do for your brother is have local legal counsel speak to him.
  3. For your area, there are 13 criminal defense attorneys listed in practice through the Nebraska State Bar. I have listed these (below) for your reference. Start making calls and work your way down the list until you find one willing to consider taking on the case. I wish the process were simpler, but much footwork is required.
  4. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Attorney Information Organization Information
Grant, Clark J.
18570 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
1464 27th Ave.
PO Box 455
Columbus, NENNN-NN-NNNN
Click for map to address
Hart, Carl K. Jr.
18982 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
2610 14th St.
Columbus, NE 68601
Click for map to address
Herman, Demetria Wade
23479 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
2610 14th St
Columbus, NE 68601
Click for map to address
Klutman, Erik Charles
23847 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
2503 13th St.
PO Box 1305
Columbus, NENNN-NN-NNNN
Click for map to address
Knoepfle, Melanie
20418 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
1468 25th Ave, #1
Columbus, NE 68601
Click for map to address
Kurtenbach, William D.
17340 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
1359 26th Ave.
PO Box 51
Columbus, NE 68601
Click for map to address
Matas, Timothy Paul
24014 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
1455 27th Ave.
P.O. Box 1618
Columbus, NE 68602
Click for map to address
Neiman, William J.
21056 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
1470 25th Ave.
PO Box 457
Columbus, NE 68602
Click for map to address
Schumacher, Eugene G.
16654 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
2503 13th St.
PO Box 1305
Columbus, NENNN-NN-NNNN
Click for map to address
Sipple, Mark M.
13859 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
2503 13th St.
PO Box 1305
Columbus, NENNN-NN-NNNN
Click for map to address
Sohriakoff, Nathan Josiah
24275 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
1455 27th St.
PO Box 1618
Columbus, NE 68602
Click for map to address
Stecker, James C.
16940 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
2420 15th St.
PO Box 215
Columbus, NE 68601
Click for map to address
Tessendorf, Jacqueline M.
21533 (NNN) NNN-NNNN(NNN) NNN-NNNN
[email protected]
Click for Detail View
2362 26th Ave.
PO Box 925
Columbus, NENNN-NN-NNNN
Click for map to address

Nebraska State Bar Association, 635 S. 14th St., Suite 200, P.O. Box 81809, Lincoln, NE 68508(NNN) NNN-NNNN Toll Free(NNN) NNN-NNNN FAX(NNN) NNN-NNNNWeb Master