How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of support, visitation, custody, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retained an attorney a year ago when my husband threatened

Resolved Question:

I retained an attorney a year ago when my husband threatened to take my child away from me. I confided in my attorney that my husband had unreported income and wanted to know how that would help me, later my attorney had learned that I had filed joint tax returns with my husband he said that it could not be brought up in court because my husband & I would or could get in trouble. So the unreported income would not have helped me in any way. My husband does not bank his money & my attorney had advised & pressured me to find it & put in a a safe deposit in a bank. Although I had not done what he suggested I told him that I did because I did not want to risk losing my child and I wanted him to represent me in court. Now a month away from my first court hearing my attorney has advised me that he cannot represent me because he can't certify my statement of networth stating I have nothing since I had told him otherwise in the beginning, what should I do? This he did not mention when he filed the paperwork for court.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.



Answer: I can't tell you what you "should" do, because that would be giving you legal advice.


Ask your attorney to get you a month-long continuance for the purpose of finding/hiring a new attorney and getting him or her up to speed.


Alternatively, you can ask a new attorney (get references! Check them!) to take care of that, as well as getting your file from your first attorney, so that you don't have to contact him again, if you'd rather not.


Here are a couple of places to look for attorneys. Make sure that they have at least five years' successful family law experience....oops, I don't know what state you're in.


Just let me know if you have any follow-up questions. There's no extra charge, of course. I want to make sure that I've answered your question.


If I HAVE answered it and we're through, please be so kind as to click "accept." Otherwise, I won't be paid even a time for my time!


My best,








I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer.


There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my followup answers because I may be helping other customers, conducting legal research, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


Bonuses of even a dollar are much appreciated and help support this site.



I REALLY appreciate FEEDBACK so that I can continuously improve!


All my best,


Jane Doe Deer


Jane Doe Deer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is is a good idea to even mention the situation to the new attorney, or just start over without bringing it up?

And what if my husnband's current attorney were to tell my new attorney about the past situation, my husband's attorney is very much aware of his clients unreported income, why is it that he is still willing to represent his client and my attorney isn't?

Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 6 years ago.

You need to be totally open and up front with attorneys (and doctors) at all times. You are completely protected by attorney/client priviledge. Tell your attorney everything.


Get an attorney with references. Check them.


If you want me to give you a few places to look, let me know what state you're in.


Good night,