How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brent Blanchard Your Own Question
Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1975
Experience:  Eleven years of experience in family law, from pre-nups, divorces, child custody and support mod
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brent Blanchard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it true you have to continue paying child support to your

Resolved Question:

Is it true you have to continue paying child support to your ex until the last of your childern is done collage? Even if they don't live with the parent?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brent Blanchard replied 6 years ago.
No, not in any state I am familiar with.

It all depends on the court order, though. I have seen some couples *agree* to have child support extend through college. It's far more common for it to be until age 18, or graduates high school, whichever is later, or any time the child emancipates.

As far as the child moving away from the custodial parent, that would be a basis to *modify* the existing child support order under the "changed circumstances" doctrine. But until a court order is changed, the payments must continue. A petition to change the order should in that setting also include a request for return of child support payments already made, *if* the former custodial parent was not otherwise supporting the child. Moving out does not always equal no longer supporting in any way.

BUT, whoever has the house the child is now living in *could* ask for child support from BOTH parents.

That's the way it works.

Thank you.

Brent Blanchard and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you