How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41593
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Change from non-custodial parent to the custodial parent

Customer Question

I want to change from being the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent. We had a uncontested divorce and at the time my husband was the best choice to be the custodial parent of our , now 16 year old daughter, who was born with Down Syndrome.
I am now stable and she gets off the bus here every day and stays with me and eats dinner with me EVERY DAY . I have her during all school breaks and holidays and continue to have her @ least every other weekend. My xhusband has remarried. She is wonderful. I could not have asked for a better stepmother for my daughter. Because I am disabled my daughter gets a monthly check. Non of which I see til recently he started giving me 25/week. He is now working and doesnt want to spend time with her and quite honestly she doesnt want to do ANYTHING with him. She loves her stepmother but she works full time and is a very dedicated to the UMW and the local church. I cant even get a work schedule from him now he wants his cake and to eat it too. The agreement was for one of them to pick her up daily @ 5:30 and she would have already had dinner. Today I had to text both of them and say "whoever is picking up Carolann" FYI we wont be back to the house til 545-600. Her dad never acknowledged or anything but her stepmother called and said she would pick her up after a church meeting @ 700 or so. My X calls @ 715 and says Hey. I kept my composier but I am done with the games. This is not fair to Carolann. I want her to be here and she wants to be here.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.,You would return here with motion to modify custody.A lawyer to file and represent would greatly improve your odds here of prevailing.You have good facts and I fear the other parent may be interested in the money only .You are correct that this is the time to file and seek change based on change of circumstances and best interests of the child in this situation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Your kidding right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont have 28 dollars to throw away thats more than I have for a weeks worth of groceries. I DO NOT ACCEPT the answer please REFUND MY PAYMENT ASAP
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
You weren't charged and I was not paid here.I wish you good luck with your situation..

Related Family Law Questions