How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married for 4 years now. I am a US citizen and

This answer was rated:

I have been married for 4 years now. I am a US citizen and my husband is Canadian. For the first 3 years we lived in Canada (I was a resident of Canada) and we had a baby (baby is dual). We recently moved to the US this year (and my husband has a green card). I currently am the bread winner and my husband watches the baby (20 months old). he has been watching the baby since hes been born while i work. The plan was he would look for work in the US but he hasnt found any yet. Our marriage isnt going the best as i hoped once we came to the US and im starting to question our marriage. Im nervous on what my options are and if i could loose my baby since my husband has been home all day with my son while i work. We live in Il and dont know what the laws are. Does the mother get the child? Would i still have to support my husbad if we got divorced?

I am an attorney and will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you but cannot give you legal advice, represent you, or enter into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

The mother is not automatically granted primary custody in IL. A court's focus is the best interests of the children and often the primary caregiver is granted primary custody, which is often the mother, but not always as in your case.

Having said this, courts typically try to grant equal or near equal custody/visitation, even though one parent is the custodial parent to foster the relationship between the children and both parents.

Here are other factors a court typically considers before entering an order of custody:

Best regards,



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The other question I had was since my husband stays home is there a chance i could have to pay alomony?
It is possible, although less likely because you have only been married for 4 years. At worst, a court may enter an order of temporary spousal support while he looks for work or acquires an employable skill typically.

Here is a link that summarizes IL law on this issue.

All the best to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
please repaste the link that you mentioned as it didnt come through.. then i will accept answer..thank u
My apologies!
Tina and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions