How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How hard is it to get a fault divorce in the state of PA

Resolved Question:

How hard is it to get a fault divorce in the state of PA? My husband was abusive and admitted it to friends and family. I had to move out of the house because of his irradic behavior. He refuses to leave the family home. I never called police. He has a record of assault during his first marriage. He will not sign divorce papers. What should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

I am an attorney and will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you but cannot give you legal advice, represent you, or enter into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

A default judgment of divorce is only entered by a court if the opposing party does not respond or otherwise contest the petition. Since it sounds like your husband would contest a petition for dissolution (divorce), that is not an option.

Since abuse involved, your best course of action typically is to contact a women's resource center in your area without your husband's knowledge. They have many resources and connections to aid women in obtaining restraining orders against abusive spouses and can usually provide you with basic legal assistance or aid you in finding an attorney.

One of the most important aspects of these programs is helping you formulate a plan to safely remove yourself from the relationship so you can move on with your life.

Here is a link to one such center in PA:

Best regards,



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Tina and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you