How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34512
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

should i put myself on child support i am in the military

This answer was rated:

should i put myself on child support? i am in the military stationed in kansas.....the baby was born in north carolina but there is a chance that the mother may leave the baby with her parents. my permanent residence is south carolina. Where would i have to file to pay CS? Also, I send clothes, diapers, etc ..trying to be a good father, but its never enough. I offered to put my child on my insurance, but she goes crazy because she is getting WIC and government aid. What should i do?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Are you on the birth certificate?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
currently i am not on the birth certificate
Will mom agree to allow you to be added to the birth certificate?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe so.
Sorry, one more...are you SURE your the dad?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did a DNA test with DDC and it came back that the child is mine. Odd thing was the "other" guy still wants to take a paternity test. Nonetheless, I got a test done and it say i am the father

I ask since once you do this....once you put your name on the birth cert, thats that...your in for the next 18 years.

If your the dad, then good for you! Would be good if more dads would "step up to the plate"

And there are some benefits for your child...namely TRICARE....that is huge...the ability to get healthcare for your child basically free.

And you may also rate BAH at dependents rate with the child.

SO it sounds like a great idea

As for an "order"...once your on the birth certificate, if you want an order for CS, mom can go into child services to get a CS order....but perhaps the better way to go is hire an attorney and you take the case to court so you can get an order for custody as well (so you get visitation and you can show to your command to increase your BAH).

Now, if mom refuses...its MUCH more difficult...if mom does not want to work wiht you then you will need to hire an attorney to file for paternity...but if mom agrees, its a very easy process.

Let me know if you have more questions

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just a few more things....I talked to her about putting him on TRICARE she refuses. Now if I am understanding correctly...if she dont allow me to be on the birth certificate, then she cannot order me to child support right? I would have to (like you said file for paternity) to get myself on it. My big thing is I do very well for him now, but dont want to get in a future battle of "i need more money" and she gets angry when I meet and actually marry someone she will become vengeful. (By the way cheated on me while i was in Iraq) and thats how we ended...
You ask

if she dont allow me to be on the birth certificate, then she cannot order me to child support right?

YES! The only way to force support is if your are the dad. There is no other way. And if your not on the BC, she needs to take you to court to prove your dad.

P. Simmons and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions