How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am getting a divorce and my husband does not want me to get

Customer Question

I am getting a divorce and my husband does not want me to get a lawyer as he doesn't want to give our money away. It appears that he is being fair with me, but I was wondering about child support laws in Texas. I was married for 24 years and we have one child still at home. She is 11. My husband's salary is about 300,000 but his bonus this year will be 400,000 or so. I started working two years ago as a teacher and make 45,000 a year. Should he pay child support based on his salary? If so, what would that amount be?


Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

I am an attorney and will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you but cannot give you legal advice, represent you, or enter into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, Robin.

You would typically be entitled to child support and likely spousal support given these facts.

Here is a link to the TX child support calculator. Based on this estimate, the monthly child support payment if you are the non-custodial parent (using only your husband's base salary) would be around $5,000.00 per month.

Since you were married for so long and there is a large difference between your incomes, you would typically be entitled to spousal support as well. There is no set amount, but it would likely be at least several thousand dollars a month. I would definitely retain an attorney under the circumstances if he is not willing to agree to either type of support.

Here is a link indicating the spousal support factors to be considered:

Best regards,



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Tina and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome.

Glad I could help.