How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my sons mother is planning to move 500 miles away and wants

Customer Question

my sons mother is planning to move 500 miles away and wants to change our custody arrangement to me only having my son every other weekend. can I legally stop this? what are the options?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



Is there a current court order in place? What is her purpose for moving? How old is your son? What is the current arrangement?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the current order is I have him on wednsday, thursday and every other weekend and she has him on monday, tuesday and every other weekend. she is moving because she wont work and her husband found a new job. my son is six.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



Well, you can go to court and file an injunction to keep her from removing your son from the area. There should be a provision in your Order that states she cannot move out of a certain radius. This is generally 50 miles. If you file the injunction, then you can also request temporary custody. She needs to get the court's permission to move your son and to change the current Order. You can go through mediation and you do not have to agree to what the mediators recommendations are. If you feel you are capable of having custody of your son then file the modification and get the injunction to preclude her from moving



If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, please ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and good luck