How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was awarded permanent custody four years ago of a child not

Customer Question

I was awarded permanent custody four years ago of a child not related to me. Her mother
petitioned the court to get her again. the judge denied her request and said she could not get the children back. How can I determine if her parental rights have been terminated so i can adopt. I have had the child since she was 14 month. She is now 7 1/2 years old
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.


did any agency or your ever file a petition to terminate her parental rights?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not. I do not know if an agency did either. My daughter was assigned a gauradian ad lidum and each time they strongly urged the court to not allow the child to be returned to the mother. The aunt intially had custody. "gave" her to me at age 14 months. After many failed court appearances- went to court- never saw before judge. I hired an attorney. Recieved temp and them permanent custody. I have no idea if an agency ever terminated her rights, hence the question.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Ok, then you need to check the court records under the child's name. if there was any legal action involving the child it is under her name in the clerk's office. alternatively, get the attorney that you hired to verify whether the rights have been terminated. If they have not then you will have to file a petition to terminate. I hope this helps. Please click "accept" so that I may receive credit for answering your question. I am still happy to answer your follow up questions at no extra cost. Thanks and best regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I kept researching when I did not hear a response from you and was able to reach the same conclusion, so aprox 1hours ago, I removed the question.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
It was not removed. Good luck.