How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was informed by a former girlfriend of three years that she

Customer Question

I was informed by a former girlfriend of three years that she is pregnant. We borke up three months ago and have not been with one another since. She has not gone to see a doctor to confirm this. She is an alcoholic, smoker, and has not been taking care of herself for sometime (the reasons we are no longer together). Do I have any rights or means of forcing her to see doctor to get results and a DNA test to prove that she is really pregnant and that it is mine? I am also concerned about any damage she may have caused to the unborn child if this is true. She won't really communicate with me other then to say she is pregnant, and notified of this a week ago when she was drunk.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

There is no way to force her to take a pregnancy test. If she agree to one or gives you her urine sample you can get one done. Otherwise you have to wait till the baby is born and then you can request that a dna test be done to see if you are the father.



Please click "Accept" so that I can get credit for this answer. We can continue our conversation after that at no additional charge. Thank you.


This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or at .

Maverick and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If she is doing damage to an unborn child and I would have to wait until it is too late and it leaves me responsible if it is mine. Can I not notify social services in my county and have it on record and possibly have social services step in and do something? I am trying to protect myself and if it is my child, the child as well. This women has been an alcoholic for some time and I spent a year trying to get her help and she would not go to rehab or quit drinking and I could not do anything about that either.
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

South Carolina became the only state to interpret its statutes to hold that a viable fetus was a person and has prosecuted the largest number of women in the country for prenatal drug abuse. Take a look at the link below and you may be able to use the threat of reporting her to get her to straighten her act up.