Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am a US citizen residing in Texas who brought my UK fiance

I am a US citizen residing in Texas who brought my UK fiance to the US on a K-1 visa. We married in May of '09. He has received his residence card. He came into the marriage with absolutely no assets and I've supported him since his arrival and for the 18 months we've been married. He has not worked at all while here is the US - he has basically been a "house husband". All assets I have are solely owned by me and were owned prior to the marriage. All my bank accounts, assets, everything are titled in my name only. All that has been acquired during our marriage is a $5K vehicle (titled in my name and paid for with my money) and many gifts I've given him. He is in the UK at the present and I've cut off all means for him to return but have left a credit card in place for him to use - I lowered the credit limit to $5,000 with $1000 cash available so he was not without any source of funds. I need help from an attorney to get paperwork filed and to determine what I am legally obgligated to pay him.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
We are prohibited by the rules of this site from representing anyone from this site and the best we can do is suggest the same sites used by other attorneys to find a local family law attorney in your area, http://www.martindale.com or http://www.findlaw.com

Texas is a community property state. Any of the property you entered the marriage with remains your separate property as long as you never commingled any separate assets with any of your marital assets. The only thing he would be entitled to a share of is 1/2 of any earnings that came about during the existence of the marriage and not a share of anything you owned prior to the marriage that you continued to hold separately. Thus, he would be entitled to 1/2 of the amount of any wages you earned, interest on investments received during the course of the marriage and he is also liable for 1/2 of any debts acquired during the course of the marriage.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.