How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been separated from my husband since 1993,I found out

Resolved Question:

I have been separated from my husband since 1993,I found out he is remarried and he never filed for divorce,am I still liable for his financial debt?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Subscription customers. An ACCEPT is credited to me but you are not charged. Followup questions WILL be answered if my first answer is acceptable.

You are not responsible for his debts but you do need to get divorced. You can file the papers in your state and have him served. It is not necessary that he sign anything for you to proceed. Here is the information for Minnesota

You can do it yourself but that can be time consuming, especially if you make a mistake in the paperwork. Here is the attorney referral site
lwpat and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you