JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

NY - My father passed away in 2005. He divorced my mother

Customer Question

NY - My father passed away in 2005. He divorced my mother and remarried in 1978. His second marriage did not last long - they simply stopped living together and his second wife left him and they lost contact since 1979. My father obtain a divorce. What is the marrital status prior to my father's death?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 years ago.
Your father divorced the second wife?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry. no, he did not divorce the 2nd wife. this is what the problem is.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 years ago.
I thought it didn't make sense. Would you mind rephrasing your question?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the confusion.

NY - My father passed away in 2005. He divorced my mother and remarried in 1978. His second marriage did not last long - they simply stopped living together and his second wife left him and they lost contact since 1979. My father DID NOT obtain a divorce for his second marriage.

What is the marital status prior to my father's death between his second wife and my father? I ask this because they did not live together or keep in touch for more than 25 years before he died.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 years ago.
They were still married unless she passed away before he did. Ceasing to live together does not end the marriage.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So she would have all the rights of a widow, then. How can I locate my father's second wife in order to (1) find out whether she remarried (2) if not, to obtain her clearance on possible property rights as a widow.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 years ago.
Yes, she would have all the rights of a widow. Even if she had remarried that marriage would be void since you can't marry if you are already married. However, that would be some evidence that she divorced somewhere and the presumption is always that the second marriage is valid. The best way to find her is to hire a private detective. They have access to resources that you don't. They know people that work at Social Security, the driver's license offices, etc. who can find her pretty quickly.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Any general info or idea as to how to locate and hire a private detective?

Thx
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 years ago.
You can check with the local lawyers and see who they use. You can also do an internet search or look in the yellow pages. Ask for references.