How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My divorce decree states that I get to live in the house and

Resolved Question:

My divorce decree states that I get to live in the house and have everything in it. The house will be sold at a time when we both agree. He left the home 2 years ago and I can prove I have been paying the mortgage on my own for the last 14 months. He now wants me to move out so he can have the house (and the equity) or sell. Can he force me to do either one of these things if it is not in my financial best interest or the best interest of my children? We have owned the house for eight years.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. However I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you, or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

If the court's order states that the home is awarded to you, then typically he would not have a leg to stand on in trying to take it from you or even live there.

Unless he is able to convince the court to modify the final order, which is extremely unlikely, he would normally have no basis for asserting a claim to the home based on the facts you have provided.

Best regards,



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The house is still in both of our names. Divorce decree states I will live there. Is that the same thing as being awarded the home? Can he force the sale of the house if I don't agree?
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
If the decree states that you must agree to the sale of the house, then that is controlling and he cannot force you to sell typically. If you divide the proceeds from the sale of the home, then it was not awarded to you.

If the court's order indicates you and the children may live in the home until it is sold, then normally you can exclude your ex since the court would not normally expect you to live together following a divorce.

All the best to you.

Please remember: even if you have a subscription with, I only get credited for my work by when you press the ACCEPT button. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Tina and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you