How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42880
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am paying alimony to my ex wife and she is getting married

Customer Question

i am paying alimony to my ex wife and she is getting married in two weeks do i still have to pay it to her. I live in washington and she lives in oregon
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Once she is married here you shoudl obtain local lawyer to file to modify alimony here and end it.You argue that this represents change of circumstances and likely court agrees with you.Use your two weeks here to line up lawyer to file this and get it done as soon as you know she has married.This is a real break for you here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this kinda answers my question but i cannot afford a lawyer any suggestions
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
If your decree here states that it ends upon remarriage then you would not need to go back to court.If it doesn't you get copy of decree here with case number XXXXX court and you hand draft something--Motion to Modify alimony citing the fact that she remarried on or about ....and that this represents a material change of circumstances.Sign it and file it and copy her.One way or another you will need to bring this back to court unless decree says it ends on remarriage.Order it up here from clerk and read it and go from there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does the husbands income count if we wanted to have the child support recalculated
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
No only the parents income is counted here.The other spouse has no legal duty to have income counted or pay support.Not there problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can you recommend somewhere to get a form to fill out for the alimony change
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
There just aren't any premade forms for this on the internet.You can try your county law library in the courthouse.Sorry I looked here.