How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i go about to get a divorce my husband left me and my

Customer Question

how do i go about to get a divorce my husband left me and my kids in 2006 and he got remarried in mexico single mom dont have much money work for my kids
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

­Please click the green Accept Button so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

If you receive an error when clicking Accept, please Reply and let me know.

Thank you for your question.

An individual may file for divorce at the local Clerk of Court's Office. The plaintiff must then have the defendant served. The defendant then has an opportunity to respond. If the defendant fails to respond, the plaintiff may then ask the court to enter a default judgment against the plaintiff. If the defendant does respond, things become far more complicated and negotiations pertaining to the divorce, property division, etc. begin.

This is something you really need to retain an attorney for. While attorneys are costly, divorce is a complicated matter and can be more so when a spouse has left the country. Accordingly, proper representation can be essential in such matters.

For an individual who represents herself, online self-help resources and the local law library can be invaluable. For your benefit, I've included the following 5 links to self-help resources for Texas litigants.

You may also want to check out the following link, as you may find there is another legal clinic in your area that might be able to assist you.
Local Legal Clinic

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger. If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the Reply feature.

Please remember to click the Green Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask for clarification if necessary.




Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).