Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My girlfriend and I were co-habitants of a home in New Hampshire.

Customer Question
She put down $30,000.00 on...
My girlfriend and I were co-habitants of a home in New Hampshire. She put down $30,000.00 on the home, as I did not have funds for the down payment. Once we bought the home, she paid $750.00 or the rent and I paid $1,250.00, which continued for about 18 months. Unfortunately, she has a traumatic past, and suddenly had delusions that I was her previous abuser, and moved out in fear. I told her if she had to leave, I would take over all responsibilities of the home. I now pay the full $2,000.00, and all utilites are in my name. She abandoned the home, even though the joint mortgage states it would be her primary place of residence. In the meantime, I bought many things for our home and placed in on my credit card. She now wants to sell, but I don't has it may result in bankruptcy for me. I told her that she was welcome to sell her portion of the home, but I have no interest in selling anytime in the near future, and will continue to finance the home. Unfortunately, I do not have the funds to buy her out on the down payment. Now she has filed a restraining order against me, still believing falsely I am abusive, and is asking the court to force the sale of the house. Does the court have that power since we voluntarily bought the house together, never married, and had planned on living in the home until June 2013 when her son finished high school?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Yes, when joint tenants on a property cannot agree as to the disposition of the property, the court can order a forced sale of the home. Of course if you can come up with some type of payment plan to buy her out, in situations like this many times the court will approve that instead of a sale because of the poor real estate market. The court may order you to take an equity loan to pay off her down payment to buy her out as one of the alternatives. At this point you need to get an attorney to fight her because I am sure your investment in the home is still sizable, even though it may not be as much as hers. But the court can order a sale if the parties cannot agree on terms, although they are not likely to put you out of the house because you are a legal joint tenant/owner.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer