How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a letter from the State of North Carolina child

Resolved Question:

I received a letter from the State of North Carolina child support enforcement office, asking for my income information for a child I have never been ordered to take a paternity test for. I am in Texas, the child's mother signed her over to a friend of hers, and is also in Texas. What should I do? Can That state have any jurisdiction over me or my finances? Especially w/o a paternity suit or order?
Submitted: 6 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
If you deny that you're the father, you can refuse to provide any information and demand that paternity be established before you agree to pay anything.

The mother or legal guardian of the child would have to sue for a paternity test. If this happens, you will have to submit to the testing, and if it proves you're the father, you would then be liable for child support.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What I am trying to establish is; Can another state, of which I am not a citizen, never have been, (NC) automatically start demanding that my employer in Texas, provide any info to them, when there has been no paternity request?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
Sure, they can demand it, but your employer has no obligation to provide anything unless it receives a court order to do so.
Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you