How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42836
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step sons mom lost her job a couple months ago for attendance.

Resolved Question:

My step son's mom lost her job a couple months ago for attendance. My step son knows something is wrong and it's show through is actions at school. He is constantly getting in trouble and in one instance sent to the principle's office. He told this dad that he is eating ramen noodles every night for dinner. She recently called my in laws and asked for money to pay her rent. We want to get custody of our son but we're afraid that if we try they will just increase our support. Do we have options.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question.You would need to file to modify legal custody.To me this is a great time here to do so.Chances are she can't afford a lawyer and you can make great arguments if he is having school problems.


This is near and dear to a judge to hear that child is not progressing and that other parent is better able to provide for the child a better setting and environment.Its true that the court might grant an increase but I think you have much better chances to get custody and support paid to you.Timing wise this is probably a good chance to seek to change all of this.The child here may also want to live with you and thats a factor here as well.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would like to know your area of expertise. I didn't see you profile and I thought my question was going to someone else. This is a very serious matter and I want to be assured that you are qualified to give me "advise". We don't want to end up spending thousands of dollars to end up paying more support. I've done a lot of investigating on this subject and from what I've read, if the child isn't being abused and the custodial parent isn't doing drugs, they will not give custody to the other parent.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
I am a Texas lawyer.I have done family law for 26 years.I disagree that you don't have a good chance here.If the child has regressed as a student this can be real critical.I am wondering if you guys shouldn't file a complaint here with protective services.There are certainly issues with neglect and supervision here.They might intervene and place them with you.
RayAnswers and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you