How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Fathers lawyer is asking Mothers lawyer(who is pro bono)

Customer Question

Father's lawyer is asking Mother's lawyer(who is pro bono) to write a letter to them stating that she will withdraw once the GAL fees are settled and not represent mother in Father's request for reduced child support.
Mother can agree to reduced child support and they will pay GAL fees

Father wealthy - Mother has full custody and has supported child for all of child's life.
Child on medicaid for medical care.

Is this ethical and legal?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you understand and agree to these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

It does not appear ethical. The father should not have any input over whom the mother chooses to represent her. The mother's attorney should bring the offer to the judge's attention
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
No family law experience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Stupid answer I do not accpt