Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

ACS took my daughter from me 5 months ago she is 9 months old

Customer Question
now. I have completed all...
ACS took my daughter from me 5 months ago she is 9 months old now. I have completed all the programs they asked me to do which was very difficult to do being that I have went 5 days a week for 4 months. I am still seeing a psyciatrist, therapist and going to relapse prevention classes and submitting to random drug tests. I go back to court in a week. I have a 1089 permanency plan hearing. The plan is to return to parent. I did test positive for pcp in June that was it. Will the judge give me my daughter back?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/1/2010
Family Lawyer: AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney replied 7 years ago
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney

Welcome!

I am an attorney with 17+ years of legal experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you understand and agree to these provisions as well as Justanswer.com's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue.

yes well they took her from me with no reason but that someone called acs on me.

Hi Marina,

With regard to your post:

ACS took my daughter from me 5 months ago she is 9 months old now. I have completed all the programs they asked me to do which was very difficult to do being that I have went 5 days a week for 4 months. I am still seeing a psyciatrist, therapist and going to relapse prevention classes and submitting to random drug tests. I go back to court in a week. I have a 1089 permanency plan hearing. The plan is to return to parent. I did test positive for pcp in June that was it. Will the judge give me my daughter back? ...yes well they took her from me with no reason but that someone called acs on me.

It would not be unheard of for the judge to not give you your daughter at this point. This is because you ingested illegal drugs, and doing so when you were trying to get your daughter back. The judge may perceive it that even when you have great incentive to stay clean, you were not strong enough to...which may lead him to believe that once the major incentive of getting your daughter back is gone, you will be even more inclined to fall off the sobriety ladder, and this time possibly hurting your baby.

To give yourself the strongest chance of convincing him, perhaps show that when you fell of the wagon, your increased your therapy, or NA meetings, went to AA everyday (or the equivalent), continued or found a stable job (so you can support your child sufficiently), and of course followed all programs. You really want to show that whatever caused you to illegally do drugs 2 months ago, is no longer a threat...and that you have your life together to take care of that precious baby and start to put her first above all else.

If you don't succeed next week, don't be terribly surprised, but know that it would only be because they don't want to take chances with your daughter's life, which I am sure you are grateful for. They can't read the future, so they can only look at that past to try to predict the chances of relapse. But what is good is that you can CREATE the past that they will look at later, when reconsidering at the next hearing! So, if you not only follow their minimum requirements, stay clean, stay at a decent job (to help show stability), and then demonstrate how important you believe your sobriety is (ergo, go to EXTRA meetings of AA/NA or whatever is local.....you will likely be able to get her back, while she is still so young she will never even remember that she was "in the system."

Good luck.

Please click accept now and follow up afterwards, if needed.

--

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put TO ALEXIA ESQ in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq., Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.

I was actually clean for a year and a half before they took my daughter. My couselor got me very upset and i relapsed bc she wouldn't take my drug test. I have been clean for 70 days. Sorry I did not get back to u sooner. I didn't see that you answered.

That is OK, I understand. I'm wondering if you had your hearing that you were scheduled for? And I'm so sorry that the incident you endured caused you to relapse - the judge is going to want to see precisely the opposite - that you have necessary strength to not less stresses and unpleasantries cause you to fall off the wagon. He sees all that is at stake (your baby's welfare/life) and will likely be cautious. But again, you can create the new future of wonderful evidence that supports your case.

Did you have any other clarifications needed that I could help you with?

No, I go to court tomorrow. Thank you.

Good luck! It is definitely not a 100% that he won't give back your daughter tomorrow. Just try to stay strong if he doesn't, understand why, and hopefully get a feel from him for exactly what he wants from you, beyond what you are currently doing, and the time frame he is looking for when you can reunite.

Good luck!

Note: Clicking "accept" will not cost you anything, as you have already deposited, but will ensure JA provides me with credit for assisting you. Thank you!

AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney