Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am in Texas, my ex-husband has a judgment against him for…

I am in Texas, my...
I am in Texas, my ex-husband has a judgment against him for back child support. He is paying right now because the state is garnishing his wages. He is remarried, adopted his wife's three children and does not exercise his rights of visitation at all towards his/my two kids. He has not seen our son in 9 months, our daughter in seven months and only calls them sporadically. The thing is, he only lives 15 minutes away and his work schedule does not prevent him from visitation, he just chooses not to. I know child abandonment does not apply, but are there grounds for termination if I choose to pursue them?
9/1/2010
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's legal experts. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Even if a parent does not get managing custody, they are almost guaranteed the posessory custody unless they have a drug problem, alcohol dependency, or an unsafe home environment. Abuse and or neglect of the child or previous children are an almost automatic bar for even posessory custody, although supervised visitation may be granted by the Court.

If you can show on of these, the Court will limit or terminate for sure.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law