How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37039
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently married but seperated not by court. How can

Resolved Question:

I am currently married but seperated not by court. How can I visit my children? If the mother denies me to see them. She filed a petition of divorce but I did not sign it because it said sole custody of the children belongs to her. I am in the state of Georgia.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.



If there is no formal separation agreement in place and no order from the court then there is nothing stopping you from visiting your children. The default in GA is that both parents have joint custody until a judge says otherwise through entering an order.


However, the fact that you did not sign the divorce petition will not stop her from proceeding with the divorce. If you do not respond and formally oppose her petition, she will eventually get a default divorce and will get everything she has asked for in her petition.


So you have to respond and oppose it or she will get what she asked for by default.







If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional, and are greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Barrister and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions