Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband closed our bank accounts yesterday without my knowledge…

Customer Question
My husband closed our bank...
My husband closed our bank accounts yesterday without my knowledge and moved our money into a new account with just his name. I have no money to even find another place to live and I work from home what can I do. Is this legal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
California is a community property state meaning the money in the account belonged to both of you. However, on bank accounts if it requires only 1 signature for withdrawal there is nothing preventing him (or you from that matter) from taking all the money out of the account and this is a matter that would be handled during a divorce marital property settlement agreement in the event of a divorce proceeding and the court would give you 1/2 of the money he took from the account and the bank will have records on that to show what was in the account when he closed it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.