How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son who is 18 just left for College, he his stay on campus,

Resolved Question:

My son who is 18 just left for College, he his stay on campus, i still pay child surrport, do i still give the check to his mom or dose he get the check.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Under the laws of the State of New York, even after a child goes off to college, any child support that is owing pursuant to a court order must still be paid to the custodial parent and that support is for use by them in any way they see fit. There is no obligation on the part of the recipient of the child support to give any of the support to the child at school, and the court will not order that such occur, I'm afraid.

In the situation you have described, you are still obligated to pay the support directly to your son's mother.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answers. Until then your payment is simply held on deposit. So, please click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks again.


LawTalk and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you