How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Minnesota Divorce court How many days before trial should

Resolved Question:

In Minnesota Divorce court: How many days before trial should I subpeona witnesses? How much do I need to pay a professional witness? Do I need to send payment with the subpeona? Also if a person wants to have something stricken from the court records, when do you do that? Is it at the time of presentation?

Thank You
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.

Subscription customers. An ACCEPT is credited to me but you are not charged. Followup questions WILL be answered if my first answer is acceptable.


You need to have subpoenas served at least ten days prior to the hearing. Professional witnesses vary anywhere from 100 per hour to 300 per hour. In order to get something stricken you have to object at the time and then ask the judge to strike. I strongly suggest that you go and sit in on a couple of trials and study the rules of evidence.



lwpat and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does the courts send out the subpeona's or do we? Do the witnesses send us a bill or how do we know how much to pay them and when do we pay them?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
You have to have someone serve your own subpoenas. You fill them out and the clerk of court will sign them for you. The amount you are going to pay your expert witnesses should be negotiated in advance and you have to disclose your experts to the other party. You also have to qualify them in court as an expert so you need to know the questions to ask.