How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced in Maryland. My ex-husband is not paying the

Customer Question

I am divorced in Maryland. My ex-husband is not paying the amount to which he agreed. We had a judge render the amount he was to pay, but he hasn't done so. The case has been ongoing since January of 2010. He is stalling, making excuses as to why. What can I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you understand and agree to these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand. I just wondered if I am permitted to do anything myself in terms of filing a complaint. Do people ever do that without an attorney?
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

You may consider bringing a contempt action to compel your ex to adhere to the order and bring the support current.

You can typically pick the forms up at the clerk of the court's office and file them yourself.

Here is how it works: when someone violates the court orders they are considered to be in contempt of court. To enforce your rights you will need to file a motion for contempt (may also be called an motion to show cause). In that motion you indicate what the orders are and how he has violated them.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would certainly pay for your helpful information if I had funds to do so. I can pay at a later date and would be happy to.

Related Family Law Questions