How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get a public defender or prosecuting attorney to return

Resolved Question:

How do I get a public defender or prosecuting attorney to return my calls? I left tons of messages because I want to know about my husbands case but I dont get to know anything. Its not fair because that is my husband in jail.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello there:

Neither the public defender nor the prosecuting attorney could return your calls even if they wanted to because you are not their client and communicating about the case could constitute a breach of the attorney-client privilege. The only way that a non-party can get involved in a criminal case directly from an attorney to the case is if they get written permission from the defendant, and even then it is at the discretion of the attorney. Alternatively, you could seek guardianship over your husband which would give you a right to speak to the public defender directly, but that would not be granted if your husband is mentally capable of making his own decisions (and even then, it would still bar the prosecuting attorney from speaking with you directly).

So I really cannot sugar-coat it, but these are the ordinary options.

I hope that this helps.
Brandon M. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you