How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13905
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what does it mean if you give up all parental rights

Customer Question

what does it mean if you give up all parental rights
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.

Termination of parental rights is a court order severing the rights, powers, privileges, immunities, duties, and obligations between a parent and child. This termination may be voluntary or involuntary and can sever the rights of one parent without affecting the rights of another. The laws concerning the termination of parental rights in Florida are found in the Florida Statutes chapter 39. Specifically, Florida Statute 39.806 lists non-exclusive grounds for termination of parental rights:


- Abandonment or Extreme Parent Disinterest
- Abuse/Neglect
- Incarceration of Parent/Felony Conviction
- Sexual Abuse
- Child Judged in Need of Services/Dependent
- Extreme Alcohol or Drug use by Parent
- Felony assault of child or sibling
- Murder/Manslaughter of sibling child


The petition for termination of parental rights may be filed by one of the child’s parents, the guardian ad litem or any other person who has knowledge of the facts alleged against the parent(s) or is informed of them and believes that they are true. It is up to the judge to ultimately determine whether severing parental rights would be in the best interest of the child(ren). Once the judge hands down his or her decision, a parent or guardian may attempt to get their rights back through the standard appellate process -though it is VERY difficult to have parental rights restored.

Before you click accept, if you have additional questions or need clarification, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you have a subscription or deposit). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

could u direct me to the proper forms for this actiom


Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.
If you click here, and scroll down about halfway you'll see the petition and judgment you can use for a voluntary relinquishment. If you're looking to do a stepparent adoption and need forms to terminate your rights, the forms are here.

Note that outside of stepparent adoption, courts are extremely reluctant to let a parent simply terminate their parental rights, even if they want to. This is because the court wants a child to have two biological parents is possible and does not wish to deprive a child of one parent. As a result, most terminations of parental rights occur when there is an adoption pending or where the Department of Children and Families is seeking to terminate the rights involuntarily.