Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Female 16 years old, wants to live with her biological grandmother,

Customer Question
rather than two step parents...
Female 16 years old, wants to live with her biological grandmother, rather than two step parents not her biological parents, she is verbaly and emotionaly abused daily. What rights does she have, they were apointed her legal gaurdian when her mother passed away.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/1/2010
Family Lawyer: SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney replied 7 years ago
SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney

Until the child is emancipated, the Court's order governs the custody issue. If she wants to live with her grandmother, perhaps Grandmother should file for custody. Usually, a 16 year old "child's" preferences will be given a lot of weight in a custody dispute, especially since no parent is involved (i.e., it would be a dispute between third parties). Until she is 18 or emancipated, however, the Family Court has jurisdiction over her.

SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney