How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SC Law Attorney Your Own Question
SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 344
Experience:  I have been practicing primarily in the field of Family Law for approximately 17 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SC Law Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Female 16 years old, wants to live with her biological grandmother,

Resolved Question:

Female 16 years old, wants to live with her biological grandmother, rather than two step parents not her biological parents, she is verbaly and emotionaly abused daily. What rights does she have, they were apointed her legal gaurdian when her mother passed away.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SC Law Attorney replied 6 years ago.

Until the child is emancipated, the Court's order governs the custody issue. If she wants to live with her grandmother, perhaps Grandmother should file for custody. Usually, a 16 year old "child's" preferences will be given a lot of weight in a custody dispute, especially since no parent is involved (i.e., it would be a dispute between third parties). Until she is 18 or emancipated, however, the Family Court has jurisdiction over her.

SC Law Attorney and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions