Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband is filing for legal seperation right now. I just

Customer Question
got home from out of...
My husband is filing for legal seperation right now. I just got home from out of state due to the fact my mother just passed away. He is not letting me see my kids and has left me without a vehicle. I don't know what to do.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Jack R., Family Law Attorney replied 7 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
What is it that you want to happen ?
i want to file for divorce but he is threating to take my kids from me.

It is unlikely that a court would allow complete loss of contact with your children. The court's first preference is to assure a continued relationship of both parents with the children. The fact he is refusing to allow you access may be a negative in any custody proceeding for your spouse.

In order to preserver your financial and custody rights you will need to file for divorce. Part of the process is the establishment of spousal support, custody, and child support. The divorce process will include interim orders (orders during the pendency of the divorce) where you will be entitled to custody or visitation with the children. The court will do a preliminary allocation of property which can include a vehicle.

If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Jack R.
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney