Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What states recognize palimony?

What states recognize palimony?
8/26/2010
Ellen, Lawyer

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. I am not your attorney and cannot give you specific legal advice, However, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

A palimony claim is a claim for support based upon a relationship in which two parties lived together without being married. I am not aware of any state in which there is a statutory or established legal right to palimony.

Marvin vs. Marvin was the famous case that coined the word palimony but even that court rejected the claim that cohabitation entitled either party to the same protections as a marriage.

That said, unmarried persons who cohabitate may be entitled to compensation based upon legal theories of joint venture and contract law. This is true in Florida and in all other states.
Ellen, Lawyer
Ellen, Lawyer