How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been served papers for Petition for Legal Separation.

Resolved Question:

I have been served papers for "Petition for Legal Separation." What am I required to do? If I accept her division of property do I have to do anything? When would the items she is claiming need to be transferred to her?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
You can answer that you agree but you do not have to answer if you agree. The items would need to be transfered as soon as you have an order granting the petition for separation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I don't respond can anything she change anything?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
If you do not respond and she goes to get the order, it may be possible that she asks the court to modify the petition and then you do not know about it until you get a copy of the order. It would be best to at least appear for the hearing date or send an answer that you agree to the petition and would not agree to any further changes and if any changes are requested she must give you a new notice.
legaleagle and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you