How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married a marine who is stationed in north carolina and i

This answer was rated:

I married a marine who is stationed in north carolina and i live in kansas. i have two kids with me ex (3yr and a 10mo) and i have the primary custody.. how i can i move to where ever my husband is and bring the kids without losing custody? i have been told that i could just get a letter from a high ranking official stating that me and my children are ordered by the government to go where ever he is stationed in which in that case my ex will not be able to do anything about it.. is that true?

The information you received about a letter being written on your behalf is not true. While such a thing might be helpful, there certainly is something the father "can do about it."


The easiest way to go is with the father's consent. You can tell him about the situation and request his blessing to go. If he consents, then you are free to go.


If he refuses, then you would need to involve the court system. You would file a request to relocate with the court that handled the matter previously. Your pleadings would discuss what you've detailed here:

  • You have married another man
  • That man is in the military
  • He is stationed in NC
  • You desire to reside with your husband
  • You will maintain contact with bio dad and facilitate his visitation

Assuming the father maintains his objection to the move, the court would ultimately determine whether you could move. The court would consider your reasons for the move and how the move would effect the father's contact with his children. Considering your husband's military commitment, my guess is that the court would permit the move.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just start your question with "FOR JOSEPH" and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you