How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31685
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are separated. The car she drives is titled

Resolved Question:

My wife and I are separated. The car she drives is titled in my name only and I have two years left on the loan. Can I transfer the title to her? I understand that I will still be responsible for the loan to the bank, but would like the car in her name and for her to get her own insurance so I'm not on the hook if she has an accident driving it.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Yes, you can do this. You just need to sign a bill of sale that says you're transferring title to the vehicle to her, but you're retaining responsibility for the loan.


This is a common procedure - especially with parents who buy cars for their child.

Roger and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So, do I need to go the Sec of State to fill out the bill of sale and request the tile change, and does she need to sign it as well?

Related Family Law Questions