Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son wants to change his last name to match my own. When

Customer Question
he was born, he was...
My son wants to change his last name to match my own. When he was born, he was named Jesse Martinez my name was XXXXX XXXXXez, I changed my name when I became a US citizen, now I go by XXXXX XXXXXez Cage, my son wants to add Cage to his name. How do we go ahead and do that? He is now 15 years old and currently lives with his mother in Georgia, his step dad has the same last name as I used to have; Martinez. He was never adopted.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
You and the mother will have to agree to file a petition for name change in the court where he is living in GA. If the mother will not agree to the name change petition then he will have to wait until his is 18 and file the name change petition on his own. Filing the petition for name change is pretty simple and the clerk of the court should have a form to file and once it is filed (assuming mom agrees) the court usually grants the name change in about 30-60 days, depending on how busy their calendar is.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer