Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Do I still have to pay child support if my 22 year old daughter

Do I still have to pay child support if my 22 year old daughter gets married?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

In Massachusetts, child support generally ends at age 18. However, child support can extend up to age 21 if a child is domiciled with a parent and principally dependent on that parent or 23 if a child is domiciled with a parent and principally dependent on that parent due to the child's enrollment in an education program, excluding educational costs beyond an undergraduate degree. M.G.L. c.208, s.28; M.G.L. c.209c, s 9, a court may also order support for an adult child who is mentally or physically disabled. (See v. Diamant, 378 Mass. 131, 389 N.E.2d 998 (1979)).

I assume you have been required to pay until age 23. However, when a child gets married, they're considered fully emancipated and you are no longer required to pay child support. The child and her spouse are responsible for themselves once they're married.

My suggestion is that you file a motion with the court to terminate child support based on her marriage and get an order relieving you of child support.