How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SC Law Attorney Your Own Question
SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 344
Experience:  I have been practicing primarily in the field of Family Law for approximately 17 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SC Law Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daugher is 16 years old & we live in Louisiana. Her father

Resolved Question:

My daugher is 16 years old & we live in Louisiana. Her father & I share joint custody on a 7/7 rotation. My daughter is very mistreated when she is there & it's esculating towards abuse. Our Judge makes her see her father, even knowing how he treats her. She is a 3.7 student, Jr in high school, very good kid. I feel extremely helpless & do not know where to turn. I can not afford $5,000 for attorney to fight him anymore. Can she file for emancipation from him releasing him of all responsiblities which would then allow her to not be forced to spend 7 days in that house?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SC Law Attorney replied 7 years ago.
No, emancipation would mean she is self-supportive, living on her own, and doesn't need either parent. Unfortunately, the only thing to file is a modification of the custodial arrangements and since you know it will be contested, you will most likely need an attorney. Another option, if you are remarried, is to see if he would be agreeable for you to file for termination of his parental rights, especially if he doesn't want her over there anyway. This way, he wouldn't have to pay child support, but he wouldn't have visitation rights anyway. I must say, I have never seen a judge force a party to visit who didn't want to. You could also try agreeing between yourselves that he doesn't have to visit.
SC Law Attorney and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you