How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SC Law Attorney Your Own Question
SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 344
Experience:  I have been practicing primarily in the field of Family Law for approximately 17 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SC Law Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My newphew lives in New Mexico and wants to live with his dad.

Resolved Question:

My newphew lives in New Mexico and wants to live with his dad. His grandparents have custody. He will not be 18 for a couple weeks. Would it be kidnapping if I went and got him?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SC Law Attorney replied 7 years ago.
If a person takes physical custody from someone with legal custody, without their consent, then yes, it would be kidnapping. Also, if the child is nearly 18 already, it's not worth filing a custody action over. Once he attains the age of 18, the Court order no longer applies. However, he should also remember that they have no duty to support him, either, and he may not want to bite the hand that voluntarily feeds him if they are a source of support to him. Many 18 year olds can't make it on their own without help from their parents or grandparents. Good luck to you.
SC Law Attorney and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you