How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got permanent custody of 2 nieces (ages 2 & 8) 8 months ago

This answer was rated:

I got permanent custody of 2 nieces (ages 2 & 8) 8 months ago from another state. They were in foster care for 18 months. I was not close to their parents or them but felt it was the right thing to do. None of their history was divulged to me until their doctor records were deleivered to me the day the kids were delivered. They just told me that they have been in forster care long enough and if i take them it had to be permanent or they go up for adoption that day. So here I am. The 8 year old has put us in a very precarius, and unsafe position. I have three small grandaughters 1,2,and age 2 that are in jeopardy. Do I jeopardize 3 for 1? I love her, have her on meds, take her to the doctor but nothing is working. Do I have any options? The father is filing to get her back. Is that right?

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

You may want to consider consenting to the transfer of custody to the father unless he is a danger to the child. You could be charged with child endangerment if you allow the 3 babies to be put in harm's way

Please let me know if I can assist you further
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do i transfer custody? Is it a long drawn out court proceeding? or can I just put her on a plane (with help of course) to her father? Is their paperwork I can file and where? Do I have to hire an attorney because money is tight?
You stated that you have permanent custody and the father has filed for the return of the child. You may want to consent to the action that the father has filed
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
father has not filed yet. he has moved to another state had a baby. Had back surgery, so on or so on. So can she stay with him until or do we have to wait? And if that is not an option, what else can i do?
Yes she can stay with him provided there is no court order prohibiting contact with the father and provided he is not a danger to the child.

You can give him a power of attorney to make medical decisions for his child and a power of attorney so that he can enroll his child in school and meet with educators as necessary. You may purchase a power of attorney form at a local office supply store such as Office Depot or Staples.
Ellen and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions