How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just to clarify, in Rhode Island, child support ends after

Resolved Question:

Just to clarify, in Rhode Island, child support ends after a child has graduated high school and is over the age of 18. Would this be correct?

Can child support continue even if the child is leaving for college and will be living there on a scholarship?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

That is correct, child support does end post 18 and after high school. Child support may continue until 21 if the child is regularly enrolled (and attends) an undergraduate program and is still deemed an "un-emancipated adult". To do that, you must file a modification of child support and request that the courts extend it. The courts generally extend it if the terms in the support agreement so reflect, or if the custodial parent can show that he or she is physically and financially unable to support the child while the child goes to college. That, however, is still up to the judge to provide--I would suggest that if you decide to file for such a modification you retain an attorney to assist you.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 8/1/2010 at 7:02 AM EST
Dimitry K., Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you