Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My business was started before I got married. My spouse has

Customer Question
filed for divorce. He has...
My business was started before I got married. My spouse has filed for divorce. He has never worked in my company. Is my spouse entitled to any part of it?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2010
Family Lawyer: SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney replied 7 years ago
SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
If your business was owned prior to your marriage. it should be considered pre-marital, which equates to it being non-marital. Therefore, the court does not have jurisdiction over it. This is especially so if he has not done anything to contribute towards it. Keep in mind there is a difference between division of property and support, however, and even though he may not be entitled to any of your property as part of equitable division, whatever income you earn from it will be considered as far as any support issues are concerned, if that is at issue.
SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
My spouse filed for divorce in Oct 2007. We have been seperated since November 2007. He never served me the papers properly and it has been in limbo ever since. In the initial paperwork he did not ask for spousal support/ alimony - only for joint custody of our daughter. My business has grown and expanded a lot and I see that he has made an amendment to the original petition last week. We have lived seperately and I have taken care of our daughter financially and physically. Can he amend the original petition to now ask for money from me? He has said in conversations that he feels entitled to some compensation b/c he gave me "advice" on my business. He has not had a job in over 10 years and lives in his parents rental property. He is trying to capitalize on my hard work from my business.
SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney