How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

According to family law in Colorado, must a motion for Modification

This answer was rated:

According to family law in Colorado, must a motion for Modification of custody or decision-making responsibility be filed BEFORE a Motion for appointment of a child and family investigator be filed?
So your daughter does not reside with you, but you are attempting to modify the order of custody so you are the custodial (residential) parent?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That is correct. However, I do not wish to engage in a custody battle unless the CFI recommends that I have residential custody. I am trying to get the CFI with out having to retain an attorney, however I would hire one if the CFI is in my favor because attorney's have told me that judges rule in favor of the CFI most of the time.
Unfortunately, the CFI is someone appointed by a court to provide a recommendation to the court only when there is a motion or petition properly pending before the court.

You cannot first request the court to appoint a CFI when there is nothing currently pending before the court. It will lack jurisdiction over the matter. Courts have no jurisdiction unless there is a controversy properly before it. The only way to institute a proper controversy is through as motion or petition.

The motion for appointment would be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction in this situation.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX



Even if you have a subscription with JA, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only. It does not and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't understand because what I did was file a motion. What can be done then to obtain a CFI?
But you filed a motion to appoint a CFI. The court has no jurisdiction to consider that motion unless there is an underlying motion or petition. I'm sorry, but that's the botXXXXX XXXXXne involving civil procedure in any court in the U.S.

Take care.

Please remember: even if you have a subscription with JA, I do not get credited for my work by JA until you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK so his attorney was correct that I must file an underlying motion. Now I understand that. But since I do not need the Motion for removal,what motion needs to be filed? Would it be a Motion for Modification of Parental Responsibility? Would I put in that motion that I to change parental responsibility to me instead of him?
You do need to file a motion to modify parental responsibilities. That is correct. Then the court would have jurisdiction to appoint a CFI, which you can request the court do in your motion to modify.

An experienced paralegal might be very helpful at this point to assist in drafting and filing the appropriate documents.
Tina and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a service through Just Answer where I can get help with drafting a motion?
No. That would likely be construed as engaging in the practice of law, which we are not permitted to do by the various state bar associations.

The state and local bar associations can provide you with attorney referrals. The yellow pages should also provide information on paralegals in the area.

All the best to you.